Denis leads Edelstein & Company’s Commercial Audit Team, overseeing the audit and review of privately held organizations. While he has years of experience in a wide range of industries and issues, he has particular expertise auditing pooled investment funds, investment advisers, life science and technology companies, professional services firms and employee benefit plans.
Clients consider Denis their trusted, long-term advisor on a host of sophisticated accounting issues. They appreciate how he guides them through the audit/review process and advises them on how to make the process more efficient, less costly and less stressful. As a result, Denis’ clients are able to improve their internal controls and optimize financial operations. They also value his advice concerning, complex accounting and financial reporting issues such as:
- Revenue recognition
- Fair value measurements
- Financial forecasting
- Modeling and
Clients appreciate Denis’s deep, real-world experience in public accounting and in financial management roles in the private sector – all of which translates into the ability to clearly understand their issues and to offer meaningful solutions.
Denis began his accounting career at Edelstein & Company, and later served in management roles in the private sector. He worked in the investment management group of a Big Four accounting firm, and then returned to Edelstein in 2002 to oversee a growing and diverse commercial audit practice. Denis has a Masters in Finance and earned the Chartered Financial Analyst and Certified Financial Planner designations.
HOW DENIS CAN HELP
- Ensure that the audit/review is performed in a efficient and cost-effective manner
- Answer questions about process and internal controls during audit/review engagement
- Evaluate internal controls and make recommendations to improve
- Advise on complex accounting and financial reporting issues such as revenue recognition, consolidations, and fair value measurements
- Audit readiness and support services
- Provide transaction support and due diligence
- Conduct financial forecasting, modeling, and budgeting
- A company had an extremely aggressive deadline for providing audited financial statements to a bank in order to obtain financing to fund operations and growth. Denis immediately mobilized the audit team, developed the audit strategy, oversaw the fieldwork and finalized the audit by the deadline.
- Denis worked closely with a software client that was about to undergo its first audit of their financial statements. He made sure that the proper controls and accounting policies and procedures were in place for revenue recognition and stock based compensation. The client was delighted that no surprise adjustments or disclosures came up during the audit. He educated the various departments and guided the creation of a project management plan to implement the standard.
- A client kept its books on a cash basis during the year and only at year-end converted to the accrual basis in preparation for the audit. The year-end conversion resulted in significant adjustments to previously issued internal management reports. Denis worked closely with the client to establish policies, procedures and reconciliations over maintaining its books on an accrual basis throughout the year, resulting in more reliable and consistent reporting to management.
- After an audit, the executive management asked Denis to evaluate the company’s internal controls of cash receipts and disbursements. Denis oversaw the analysis and prepared a comprehensive report that detailed internal control objectives, current controls, and best practice recommendations. Management subsequently implemented most of the recommendations.
OUTSIDE THE OFFICE
I enjoy exercising, being outdoors and reading fiction.