Kyle Shukie helps high net worth individuals and privately held business entities – ranging from small family businesses to $100 million companies – minimize their tax liability and ensure regulatory compliance. For over ten years, Kyle has carefully evaluated, analyzed, and advised on tax implications of all business decisions brought his way.
Kyle’s clients appreciate his responsiveness and the clear, patient way he explains complex tax concepts.
As a result, clients receive the analysis, recommendations and help they need to make sound decisions and accomplish their goals.
Kyle joined Edelstein & Company in the summer of 2007 to complete a summer internship. He was named an associate in 2008 and was assigned to audit, valuation and tax matters. After two years, he decided to focus his practice on tax. As a Tax Partner, Kyle works closely with clients and partners on tax planning and compliance for individuals and privately held corporations.
Over the last several years, Kyle’s major focuses include multi-state tax planning and filing compliance, personal income tax planning and compliance, and maintains a strong focus on “pass-through entity” taxation. Kyle assists all clients navigate through the constantly changing landscape of federal and state tax issues including state nexus regulations and reform brought on by the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act.
Kyle is also a technology leader in the firm. He coaches his colleagues on how to optimize their use of the firm’s software tools and programs so they serve clients even more efficiently and productively.
HOW KYLE CAN HELP
- Develop strategies to minimize tax liability, including entity structuring and accounting method selection
- Accounting and bookkeeping assistance
- Evaluate the tax consequences of business transactions including timing of capital purchases and depreciation methods to maximize tax savings
- Provide effective tax planning and compliance for individuals and businesses including quarterly tax calculations, withholding requirements, and year end planning
- Help clients manage cash flow and minimize tax payments
- Prepare and analyze GAAP and income tax basis financial statements, and provide compilation and review services
- Strategize financial reporting / tax planning to effectively meet client’s loan covenants
- Assist with recording real estate purchase and sales, including tax free 1031 exchanges
- Federal and state research and development credit analysis for start-up companies
- Completion and analysis of deferred income tax calculations for financial statement presentation
- Oversee compliance of international tax issues including foreign tax credits, form 5471 and 5472 compliance, and section 965 transition taxes
- Trust and estate tax planning and compliance
- With recent major tax law changes, Kyle analyzed and implemented tax savings strategies for clients including: 1) accelerating or deferring various types of income or deductions based on tax rate and law changes and 2) advising and assisting with gifting to new created trusts for estate planning.
- Kyle routinely reviews and analyzes new clients’ prior year tax returns, often finding missed opportunities for a variety of tax savings possibilities. These often lead to amending prior year returns to return tax dollars back to the client.
- Kyle assisted with several real estate cost segregation studies and amended prior year tax returns under a change in accounting method, which resulted in a client getting back hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Over the last several years, there have been several mergers and acquisitions of Edelstein’s clients in which Kyle played an integral part of the required due diligence to ensure successful transactions.
OUTSIDE THE OFFICE
I enjoy skiing, golfing and going to concerts and sporting events.