Marc is a nationally recognized expert in business valuation and forensic accounting. Marc regularly provides business valuations in the context of marital dissolution, shareholder and partner disputes, financial reporting, gift and estate planning, business planning and decision-making. Marc’s clients include attorneys and business owners throughout New England and beyond and span industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, high tech, construction, automotive, start-ups, and professional service advisors.
Attorneys turn to Marc to provide litigation support as an expert witness in the areas of business valuation, forensic accounting, lost profits, business interruption, economic damages and taxation. He has appeared in the United States Tax Court as well as Massachusetts Superior Courts and Probate Courts. Attorneys value Marc’s thorough analysis and ability to present complex facts involved in high stakes disputes, in a clear and compelling manner.
Divorce situations often present sensitive financial matters. Attorneys turn to Marc to address complex compensation issues, such as stock options, restricted stock, phantom stock plans, double dip factors, determining annual income and calculating support orders. His forensic accounting experience enables him to identify hidden income and assets that can be pivotal to divorce resolutions.
Marc has also proven to be a valuable asset to business owners. He advises them on potential exit strategies, identifies value-added drivers, and establishes stock-based compensation plans. Marc also works with business owners to develop a comprehensive estate plan which often requires a business valuation as part of the analysis.
Marc has been a partner at Edelstein & Company since 2002 and is the leader of the Business Valuation and Forensic Accounting Team. Marc has authored numerous articles related to divorce, forensic accounting, and family business operations. He is a frequent lecturer on issues of business valuation and forensic accounting at conferences around the country. A regular instructor for the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA), Marc has been the lead instructor for Current Updates in Valuation since 2007. He is also an instructor for the Intermediate Business Valuation Training Curriculum and contributed to the development of NACVA’s CVA Certification Training and Foundation of Financial Forensics Workshop.
Prior to joining Edelstein, Marc was with an international pharmaceutical global enterprise based in Boston. He also worked for other accounting firms handling tax engagements for public and private companies.
- The Impact of the Tax Cuts and Job Act on Family Law Cases, Boston Bar Association, Family Law Newsletter, October 2018
- Discovering the value in forensic accounting, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, March 2, 2015
- Is Your Company at Risk? Take-Away Lessons from the Market Basket Saga, Massachusetts Family Business, December 2014
- Weighing Divorce ‘Options’ Financial Advisor, January 7, 2014
- Are Stock Options Assets or Income? It all Depends, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, December 9, 2013
- Analyzing the History of Bernier After the Most Recent Massachusetts Appeals Court Decision, Bernier II, Business Valuation Update, November 2012
- Annual Publication - Current Updates in Valuation, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts. Co-Author, June 2007-2014.
- Instructor: “Current Updates and Applications in Valuations,” National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, 2007 - 2018
- Instructor: “Business Valuation Workshop,” National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts 2010 - Present
- “The Impact of the Trump Tax Cuts and Job Act on Family Law Cases”, Greater Lynn Bar Association and Essex County Bar Association, December 2018
- “Alimony/Tax Update Impact of TCJA on Family Law”, Greater Newburyport Bar Association, November 2018
- “Alimony After Tax Reform”, Massachusetts Bar Association, 28th Annual Family Law Conference, November 2018
- “Alimony/Tax Update Impact of TCJA on Family Law, Round II – Preserve, Protect & Persevere”, Greater Newburyport Bar Association, September 2018
- “How Two Valuation Experts Can Arrive at Different Conclusion” NACVA Annual Consultants Conference, Las Vegas, June 2018
- “Preserving the Deductibility/Inclusion of Alimony Under the TCJA 2017”, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, June 2018
- “Tax Cuts & Jobs Act: How the New Law Affects Your Domestic Relations Cases” Barnstable County Bar Association” June 2018
- “Alimony Update: The Impact of Tax Reform”, MCLE Family Law Conference, May 2018
- “The Impact of the New Tax Law for Divorce Matters”, Massachusetts Bar Association, 2018 Family Law Spring Symposium, April 2018
- “Impact of Tax Reform on Family Law”, The Greater Boston Family Law Inn of Court, April 2018
- “Discovering Hidden Assets” MCLE-Family Law Financial Forensics Agenda, Chairperson, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, March 2018
- “The Impact of the New Tax Law on Collaborative Divorce Matters”, MetroWest PG (MCLC), February 2018
- “1st Look” at the Impact on Family Law of the Tax Cuts and Job Act”, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, February 2018”
- “The Impact of Tax Reform on Family Law” Greater Newburyport Bar Association” January 201
- 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 & 2008 Instructor of Exceptional Distinction, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
- 2009 Outstanding Member Award, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
- 2009-2015 Camp Bauercrest Board of Directors, Past Treasurer